On the 12th July 2016 DEFRA & the Environment Agency published new pollution prevention for businesses guidance pages on the .gov.uk website. The guidance focuses upon what the regulations require and what businesses and organisations should do at work to avoid pollution incidents, including the permissions needed to be able to dispose of waste.
The information is organised into the following categories;
- Polluting substances
- Activities that produce contaminated water
- Correct use of drains
- Storing materials, products and waste
- Unloading and moving potential pollutants
- Construction, inspection and maintenance
- Setting up an environmental management system
Penalties for pollution incidents include an unlimited fine, prison sentences of up to 5 years, or both, and any costs incurred from the clean up may have to be paid by the business or organisation responsible for the incident.